Skip to main content

Boston Commencent 2013

I am currently in Boston for my daughter's graduation from BU. As I searched for an image about Boston to embed into this post, I discovered that just about all of the images I came across on google were of the destruction caused by the Boston Marathon bombings. So, just for the record, Boston is a beautiful city that has harbored my daughter for the past four years. I am grateful for her time here and am confident she will do great things in the world.

Unfortunately, the commencement speaker, TfA founder Wendy Kopp, was uninspiring although she had clearly prepared her speech. Kopp introduced herself as "the person responsible for those persistent Teach for America recruiters who have been after you all year," Yet, those same recruiters when challenged about TfA and its mission by the very students they are trying to recruit, don't bother to respond demonstrating an unwillingness to engage in dialogue about the ultimate purpose and premises of TfA. But, back to Kopp. Besides being a horrible public speaker, she said a few things that left those of us with staying power to listen to her till the bitter end, a bit dumbfounded. I didn't record her speech and I didn't take notes during her presentation, though some tidbits can be found on the BU website, I do remember three comments in particular that I will respond to, even if it's only for my own peace of mind.

First of all, she told students that she favors inexperience and that the world needs more copycats. Hmmm. So, let's eliminate all experienced teachers from schools and substitute them with TfA recruits (I can't call them teachers until they've actually gone through a certified teacher training program) because it's better to have 4.0 inexperienced Ivy League graduates teaching our "neediest" students who will leave after two or three years and never look back, than making sure that the teachers we do have in those schools are well-prepared to teach their students. And, while we're at it, let's encourage copying as the highest level of education. Maybe that's why the Common Core was established? To make sure that there's lots of copying going on in all schools in the US? Could it be?

Then, she made a comment I could agree with: teachers are in it for the long haul. Umm...yes. So, what is this two-year commitment about?? Basically, she's saying that most of the TfA recruits aren't really teachers and most will never be because they're just around for a short while until they get into graduate school or their ideal job turns up. There's something that just doesn't make sense about this statement.

Finally, Wendy Kopp has expanded her business to the developing world. She has launched Teach for All and is in Peru, China and possibly somewhere else. By this time, I was so incensed that I was having a hard time listening to her at the same time that I maintained my composure. Is she anticipating the demise of TfA because of the growing opposition within the professional community? Or, does she simply see a good business opportunity? I don't know but the idea that it's a good thing to go into another country and tell them how to improve their educational system because we're doing such a great job in the US is laughable at best and insulting at worst.

Fortunately, Morgan Freeman, who received an honorary degree said some brief words to the delight of all present, brightening up an otherwise gloomy morning.

Congratulations to all the BU 2013 graduates and especially to my daughter who will go places in the world!

Cross posted to A Slice of Life

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Partner Reading and Content, Too Routine (PRC2)

I'm a hoarder. There, I've said it. I try to deny that I'm a hoarder but it comes back to haunt me every time I move houses, or pack up my classroom at the end of the school year. I have old articles, lesson plans, handouts, folders brimming with teaching ideas, past issues of profesional journals. I hardly throw anything out though I've learned to be more selective over the years. My one rule of thumb, and I really try to stick to this, is that if I haven't used or referred to something in a year, then it's time to toss it into the recycle bin. One exception to this rule (you knew this was coming, didn't you?) is past issues of journals from professional organizations. However, with the ability to locate articles online through my professional memberships, even this exception is becoming less and less useful, which brings me to the topic of this blog post. I am currently reading a copy of The Reading Teacher from 2010. I've clipped a cou

The Reading Strategies Book - Chapter 12, Supporting Students’ Conversations – Speaking, Listening, and Deepening Comprehension

The strategy lessons highlighted in Chapter 12, Supporting Students’ Conversations – Speaking, Listening, and Deepening Comprehension, in The Reading Strategies Book by Jennifer Serravallo are critical to students’ engagement and comprehension, as well as their ability to write literary essays, or even book reviews, summaries and reflective pieces about books. If students aren’t able to talk about books in a way that is invigorating and joyful, they will be less likely to develop an interest in growing ideas for writing about books. In her introduction to this chapter, Jennifer Serravallo, reminds us that when conversations go well, children are inspired by what they read and are motivated to keep reading. However, when conversations fall flat, then kids get bored and tune out. How do we avoid this situation and teach kids to  have  focused conversations about books?  The answer is easy: teach kids  strategies to help them develop effective conversational skills .  As in

Are we listening?

A child sits alone with a ripped worksheet packet on his desk. He appears to be singing or subvocalizing something though no one hears him. Or, perhaps they're ignoring him. The teacher stands at the front of the room teaching on the SmartBoard. The children follow along in their worksheets. Except the child sitting alone. He is in his own world. No one engages him and he engages no one. My heart aches for this child. He is physically and emotionally removed from the class. I ask him why his paper is ripped. (It's not an accidental rip.) He says he did that on a different day. When he had been frustrated about the work. He tells me that he sometimes sits by himself because the work is too hard for him. He later tells me that he sits by himself because the teacher thinks he talks too much during the lesson.  He says he does that because he wants to find out about the "lives of the other children". My first impulse is to rescue him from the wrongheade