Skip to main content

What is a leader?

I am currently enrolled in a course through the ATN-LEAP Learning Employment Aptitudes Program called Leadership and Communication. This week we were asked to reflect on a series of questions about what it means to be a leader. I have posted these here in the hopes of getting a conversation going. I would love to hear what you have to say on these issues.

• What does leadership mean to you?
Leadership is a quality I try to cultivate in myself and others. As an educator, I can think of no one else who is better positioned than the classroom teacher to be a leader. I associate leadership with professional autonomy. I also think of leadership as a complimentary attribute of ethical and moral behavior. Leadership, to me, is about doing the right thing because it will benefit the greater good.  

• What is a leader?
A leader is someone who can identify a problem and has the courage to act, in some capacity, on that problem.  A leader may not necessarily be the person to solve said problem but rather is someone who is able to inspire others to pursue solutions to particular problems or thorny situations. A leader is not interested in being in the limelight. A leader knows there are things that need to get done and finds a way for that to happen.

• Give some examples of leaders you admire (work, community, industry or national) and why you think or believe they are leaders?
I think the new director at my international school is a leader. She just took on this position about a month ago and I don’t know her very well but she inspires confidence and optimism; this appears to be infectious as other administrators are changing the way they approach teachers. She has a vision for where she wants the school to go and she is communicating that to the various constituencies that make up our school community. She deals with everyone on an equal footing at the same time that she realizes there are many changes to be made and is taking action as issues arise. 

• From your own social and cultural context, what is the one most important attribute that leaders require to be successful? Why?
I think the most important attribute that leaders require to be successful is to have a vision and to be able to communicate it. Others can manage the day-to-day but the vision and the ability to share that vision with others in a way that is convincing, is critical. Once a vision is in place then it’s a matter of figuring out what needs to be done and who is going to do it. This inspires confidence and people who are willing to work to make that vision come to fruition.

• What qualities of leadership are most highly appreciated by your culture/racial grouping/family grouping/gender/organization/…?

I think the qualities of leadership that are most highly appreciated by my family grouping are: ability to make decisions, ability to inspire others to go along, ability to stand up to injustice, ability to recognize leadership capacity in others, ability to hang in there for the long haul, ability not to get derailed into petty arguments, ability to maintain the focus on the big picture and the big goals, ability to communicate a vision for change and sustainability, ability to admit mistakes or to change a course of action if it’s not working.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Partner Reading and Content, Too Routine (PRC2)

I'm a hoarder. There, I've said it. I try to deny that I'm a hoarder but it comes back to haunt me every time I move houses, or pack up my classroom at the end of the school year. I have old articles, lesson plans, handouts, folders brimming with teaching ideas, past issues of profesional journals. I hardly throw anything out though I've learned to be more selective over the years. My one rule of thumb, and I really try to stick to this, is that if I haven't used or referred to something in a year, then it's time to toss it into the recycle bin. One exception to this rule (you knew this was coming, didn't you?) is past issues of journals from professional organizations. However, with the ability to locate articles online through my professional memberships, even this exception is becoming less and less useful, which brings me to the topic of this blog post. I am currently reading a copy of The Reading Teacher from 2010. I've clipped a cou

The Reading Strategies Book - Chapter 12, Supporting Students’ Conversations – Speaking, Listening, and Deepening Comprehension

The strategy lessons highlighted in Chapter 12, Supporting Students’ Conversations – Speaking, Listening, and Deepening Comprehension, in The Reading Strategies Book by Jennifer Serravallo are critical to students’ engagement and comprehension, as well as their ability to write literary essays, or even book reviews, summaries and reflective pieces about books. If students aren’t able to talk about books in a way that is invigorating and joyful, they will be less likely to develop an interest in growing ideas for writing about books. In her introduction to this chapter, Jennifer Serravallo, reminds us that when conversations go well, children are inspired by what they read and are motivated to keep reading. However, when conversations fall flat, then kids get bored and tune out. How do we avoid this situation and teach kids to  have  focused conversations about books?  The answer is easy: teach kids  strategies to help them develop effective conversational skills .  As in

Are we listening?

A child sits alone with a ripped worksheet packet on his desk. He appears to be singing or subvocalizing something though no one hears him. Or, perhaps they're ignoring him. The teacher stands at the front of the room teaching on the SmartBoard. The children follow along in their worksheets. Except the child sitting alone. He is in his own world. No one engages him and he engages no one. My heart aches for this child. He is physically and emotionally removed from the class. I ask him why his paper is ripped. (It's not an accidental rip.) He says he did that on a different day. When he had been frustrated about the work. He tells me that he sometimes sits by himself because the work is too hard for him. He later tells me that he sits by himself because the teacher thinks he talks too much during the lesson.  He says he does that because he wants to find out about the "lives of the other children". My first impulse is to rescue him from the wrongheade