Skip to main content

2016 - Bring It On!

I am a struggling writer. I struggle with topic selection, getting started and a lack of self-confidence. And, although I love to write, I realize that I love the IDEA of being a writer more. The process of writing, with its concomitant failures and less-than-perfect results, is not a selling point for me.

In my mind's eye, I can almost see a blank book cover with my name on it, even if I can't envision what the book is about. I can imagine myself a part of an elite group of teacher-writers who are disciplined, serious and have interesting things to say. I tell myself, "That could be you! If only..." And there my thinking trails off and I return to a state of numbness where "if only" becomes a long list of self-pitying excuses for why I will never write well enough so that others can appreciate and learn from what I have to say.

Now that I've confessed my deepest feelings of inadequacy, I can let them go. Just like that. I resolve to stop thinking about them. I am determined to turn the page. And, although I've attempted to do all of this before, this year will be different. This year my one little word (OLW) is ambitious, as in "having a desire to be successful" and not as in "wanting to be famous and powerful".

Although being successful could definitely be equated with having power and fame, that is not my intent at all. I aim to be successful in the sense of achieving those goals that I've set for myself. For example, I will be successful if I am able to do daily and intentional or focused writing. It is less important if this writing is destined for publication writ large. What matters is that I'm writing. Period.

Of course, some of this writing will be published in the form of blog posts, presentations, articles, book proposals, and stories. But, by writing every day I will no longer be searching for THE topic to write my next blog post. Instead, I will have a repertoire of writings from which to select. My writing will improve. I will have accomplished my ambition. I will have been successful.

I am approaching 2016 in the same way that I approached my third pregnancy: this is the year (month for getting pregnant). If my writing doesn't become a regular routine, a viable part of my daily life, then I may as well give up and recognize that while I am a strong reader, I am a less committed writer.

If this is how things turn out then I will have to readjust my approach to teaching writing in the classroom from a teacher who writes to a teacher who struggles with writing. I am hoping this will not be the blog post I will be writing on December 31, 2016. Rather, I am planning to focus on asserting myself as a successful (habitual) writer by the end of this year.

Throughout this year, I will hopefully post about my writing journey. I know it won't be easy. In fact, it will probably be difficult and I will probably want to give up more often than not, but it will be worthwhile. Wishful New Year's optimism? Perhaps, but  I am speaking and acting as if this is already how things are. Today's writing is proof of my new approach.

Here's to a productive, ambitious, joyful 2016. Bring it on!
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Students Plan for a Day of Learning

This is the third in a series of blog posts about strategies I use to help my students take ownership of their learning. The first post was about class meetingsThe second post was about giving kids opportunities todetermine their own writing and reading plansevery Friday afternoon. (Coming soon is the fourth post in this series about using student surveys to provide feedback about the classroom.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Yesterday I felt more independent than ever because I had to tell myself what to do." - 5th grade boy
It did not come as a surprise that my students embraced the idea of planning their learning for an entire day. That is what being autonomous and self-directed is all about and what we all desire to be in our day-to-day experiences. Allowing students to create their own schedules for learning, albeit conditioned by specific parameters (reading, writing, math, sc…

The Teacher I Want to Be

The
I have been dismayed to realize that despite my self-image as a teacher with a learner centered classroom, I am far from truly achieving that goal. 

I have been listening carefully to myself lately, and I don't like what I hear myself saying to the kids. Instead of empowering my students to take ownership of their learning, I am still the director on the stage. I still ask leading questions rather than ones that push the learner to figure things out for herself. I realize I often spoon feed my students hopeful that they will give me the answer I'm looking for. An answer that will make my job easier. Answers that will fit with what I expect students to say despite the fact that 30 years in education has taught me nothing if not that students are unpredictable, and if we prepare for anything, that is what we should be prepared for. 
Teacher
An anecdote. The other day I was talking with a student about the fact that she was abandoning more books than she was finishing. I was as…

Searching for Balance

I have been doing a lot of soul searching over the last couple of days. 
And, I've come to the conclusion that I must change my attitude - shift my stance - so I can assume a new perspective. So that I am more aligned with what's important and may add value to my life.  
Focusing on the negative is not making me stronger or healthier. In fact, I am often stressed because I worry a lot about unimportant things. I obsess over situations out of my control. I dismiss positive experiences that would help lift my spirits and align my focus towards what's important. 
I need a distraction from my own thoughts.
I need balance in my life. Not because I work hard to prepare my classes. Not because I read a lot of professional literature. Not because I wrote a lot this summer and will continue to do so now that school has started. But because I have been obsessing on the wrong things. Mostly, I obsess about what someone said or did and what it says about me as a teacher. I obsess about …