Skip to main content

Mini Lessons

Slicing every day in March!!

Sometimes, I plan too many teaching points for one lesson. For example, instead of focusing on one strategy that students need in order to become more proficient readers and writers, I try to teach several strategies at the same time. 

Sometimes, I stretch out a teaching point beyond the 10- or 12-minute time limit I've given myself because I worry that my mini lesson wasn't enough or my students won't have understood what I intended to teach. So, sometimes, I beat the lesson to a pulp one too many times, or forget to have the kids practice the lesson before they go off to read or write. (Asking students to practice a lesson after you teach it, with you right there to observe and help guide students through the process, is very effective. Try not to skip this step!)  

Here's an example of a mini lesson that lasted less than 10 minutes and resulted in better learning.

My students are in the second round of historical fiction book clubs. In a couple of weeks, we will start a unit on fantasy book clubs. I want them to get better at preparing for a book club meeting. They are not yet comfortable doing this and the sticky notes they are selecting don't lead to rich conversations. 

When Kathy Collins was at my school a few weeks ago, she modeled a lesson about how to select an interesting idea from the sticky note jots students do while they are reading. She showed students how to write a few sentences more about their initial idea so that they can generate rich conversations about their books.

When I've collected these sticky notes, I've noticed that the thinking kids are documenting is shallow and noncommittal. 

So, today I read a few pages of our current read aloud novel, Number the Stars, and asked kids to use a symbol (icon, emoji that made sense to them, or one from the list I shared with them) to jot down their thinking as I read the text aloud. Then, I asked students to select one of these thoughts and extend their thinking by writing a few more sentences. I scanned their responses and, overall, the quality of their thinking was better. 

Tomorrow we're going to try this again with a few more pages from the same chapter. Then, I'll ask my students to choose one sticky note from that chapter to keep writing on. I'm going to suggest the following sentence stems to help kids get started:

  • Maybe what's happening here is..
  • I think...
  • My thought about this is... 
  • If...then...

After that, I'm going to pair students so they can engage in partner conversations; this would serve well as practice for their next book club meeting on Thursday.


If you have any suggestions for helping students have more effective book club conversations, please a comment below. Thanks!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Partner Reading and Content, Too Routine (PRC2)

I'm a hoarder. There, I've said it. I try to deny that I'm a hoarder but it comes back to haunt me every time I move houses, or pack up my classroom at the end of the school year. I have old articles, lesson plans, handouts, folders brimming with teaching ideas, past issues of profesional journals. I hardly throw anything out though I've learned to be more selective over the years. My one rule of thumb, and I really try to stick to this, is that if I haven't used or referred to something in a year, then it's time to toss it into the recycle bin. One exception to this rule (you knew this was coming, didn't you?) is past issues of journals from professional organizations. However, with the ability to locate articles online through my professional memberships, even this exception is becoming less and less useful, which brings me to the topic of this blog post. I am currently reading a copy of The Reading Teacher from 2010. I've clipped a cou

The Reading Strategies Book - Chapter 12, Supporting Students’ Conversations – Speaking, Listening, and Deepening Comprehension

The strategy lessons highlighted in Chapter 12, Supporting Students’ Conversations – Speaking, Listening, and Deepening Comprehension, in The Reading Strategies Book by Jennifer Serravallo are critical to students’ engagement and comprehension, as well as their ability to write literary essays, or even book reviews, summaries and reflective pieces about books. If students aren’t able to talk about books in a way that is invigorating and joyful, they will be less likely to develop an interest in growing ideas for writing about books. In her introduction to this chapter, Jennifer Serravallo, reminds us that when conversations go well, children are inspired by what they read and are motivated to keep reading. However, when conversations fall flat, then kids get bored and tune out. How do we avoid this situation and teach kids to  have  focused conversations about books?  The answer is easy: teach kids  strategies to help them develop effective conversational skills .  As in

Are we listening?

A child sits alone with a ripped worksheet packet on his desk. He appears to be singing or subvocalizing something though no one hears him. Or, perhaps they're ignoring him. The teacher stands at the front of the room teaching on the SmartBoard. The children follow along in their worksheets. Except the child sitting alone. He is in his own world. No one engages him and he engages no one. My heart aches for this child. He is physically and emotionally removed from the class. I ask him why his paper is ripped. (It's not an accidental rip.) He says he did that on a different day. When he had been frustrated about the work. He tells me that he sometimes sits by himself because the work is too hard for him. He later tells me that he sits by himself because the teacher thinks he talks too much during the lesson.  He says he does that because he wants to find out about the "lives of the other children". My first impulse is to rescue him from the wrongheade