Skip to main content

Triggers and Celebrations

Slicing every day in March!

I've been wondering a lot about my triggers lately. What makes me happy? What makes me sad? What discourages me. What gives me hope. And, much to my chagrin, many of the things that produce a strong emotion in me are extrinsic in nature. I seem to get my value from what other people say about me. I can turn on a good word and, just as easily, buckle over someone's carelessly, or carefully, worded comment.

These changes in mood are often related to my perceived professional worth.

This is a hard way to live. It's unpredictable and totally dependent on the person giving the compliment. And, of course, it's completely random and unreliable. Here one day, gone the next!

So, during this month of slicing, I am pledging to notice and document daily 
successes - big and
small.  

Today's noticing is about the tempo in my classroom. Yes, tempo!

The rhythm of a group of 5th graders who when given a choice about whether or not to participate in a Mystery Number Skype, chose wisely. Those that wanted to participate, even though it was right, smack in the middle of their recess, did so. The rest of the class went to the playground. There was no attempted coercion on my part and no lamenting the lack of buy-in from the whole class. 


Not everyone has to do the same thing at the same time.

The rhythm of kids blogging and writing really great comments on each other's posts.

It was the hum generated by pairs turning to talk to each other about Number the Stars.


And it was the jubilation of a child rejoicing in her partner's thinking because what she said was just so good! 

Not everyone spoke during the whole class discussion. Sometimes, that's OK. They were listening and learning, nevertheless.

It was the buzz of historical fiction book clubs getting together for the first time to determine a reading schedule for the next eight days.

All of that happened because I trusted my kids to walk alongside me today. I ignored what was supposed to take place and instead I celebrated what was right in front of me.

I don't need a test to tell me how well they did.
I could see it.
They could see it.


I choose to celebrate that.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Students Plan for a Day of Learning

This is the third in a series of blog posts about strategies I use to help my students take ownership of their learning. The first post was about class meetingsThe second post was about giving kids opportunities todetermine their own writing and reading plansevery Friday afternoon. (Coming soon is the fourth post in this series about using student surveys to provide feedback about the classroom.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Yesterday I felt more independent than ever because I had to tell myself what to do." - 5th grade boy
It did not come as a surprise that my students embraced the idea of planning their learning for an entire day. That is what being autonomous and self-directed is all about and what we all desire to be in our day-to-day experiences. Allowing students to create their own schedules for learning, albeit conditioned by specific parameters (reading, writing, math, sc…

The Teacher I Want to Be

The
I have been dismayed to realize that despite my self-image as a teacher with a learner centered classroom, I am far from truly achieving that goal. 

I have been listening carefully to myself lately, and I don't like what I hear myself saying to the kids. Instead of empowering my students to take ownership of their learning, I am still the director on the stage. I still ask leading questions rather than ones that push the learner to figure things out for herself. I realize I often spoon feed my students hopeful that they will give me the answer I'm looking for. An answer that will make my job easier. Answers that will fit with what I expect students to say despite the fact that 30 years in education has taught me nothing if not that students are unpredictable, and if we prepare for anything, that is what we should be prepared for. 
Teacher
An anecdote. The other day I was talking with a student about the fact that she was abandoning more books than she was finishing. I was as…

Searching for Balance

I have been doing a lot of soul searching over the last couple of days. 
And, I've come to the conclusion that I must change my attitude - shift my stance - so I can assume a new perspective. So that I am more aligned with what's important and may add value to my life.  
Focusing on the negative is not making me stronger or healthier. In fact, I am often stressed because I worry a lot about unimportant things. I obsess over situations out of my control. I dismiss positive experiences that would help lift my spirits and align my focus towards what's important. 
I need a distraction from my own thoughts.
I need balance in my life. Not because I work hard to prepare my classes. Not because I read a lot of professional literature. Not because I wrote a lot this summer and will continue to do so now that school has started. But because I have been obsessing on the wrong things. Mostly, I obsess about what someone said or did and what it says about me as a teacher. I obsess about …