Skip to main content

Waiting is so Hard

Waiting is so hard.
I don't like waiting.
I get impatient.
I want answers now.

Waiting is so hard.
Patience is not a strength of mine.
Yet, I've had to be patient before.
Waiting, watching and teaching at just the right moment.
Waiting until a student understands a concept.
I try everything I know until I see
the light of recognition in a child's eyes.
That aha! moment when a child finally gets it!

Waiting is so hard.
I want instant gratification.
And, I'm not even from that generation.

Waiting is so hard.
Yet, I know that waiting
is bearable.
If I can let go.
Enjoy the moment.
Live and love in the present.

Waiting is so hard.
That's why I stay busy.
As I wait for news
of a new job,
a new project,
new opportunities.
I stay busy.

Waiting is so hard.
Reading alleviates the anxiety.
Watching a movie helps me relax.

Waiting is so hard.


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Teacher I Want to Be

The
I have been dismayed to realize that despite my self-image as a teacher with a learner centered classroom, I am far from truly achieving that goal. 

I have been listening carefully to myself lately, and I don't like what I hear myself saying to the kids. Instead of empowering my students to take ownership of their learning, I am still the director on the stage. I still ask leading questions rather than ones that push the learner to figure things out for herself. I realize I often spoon feed my students hopeful that they will give me the answer I'm looking for. An answer that will make my job easier. Answers that will fit with what I expect students to say despite the fact that 30 years in education has taught me nothing if not that students are unpredictable, and if we prepare for anything, that is what we should be prepared for. 
Teacher
An anecdote. The other day I was talking with a student about the fact that she was abandoning more books than she was finishing. I was as…

Searching for Balance

I have been doing a lot of soul searching over the last couple of days. 
And, I've come to the conclusion that I must change my attitude - shift my stance - so I can assume a new perspective. So that I am more aligned with what's important and may add value to my life.  
Focusing on the negative is not making me stronger or healthier. In fact, I am often stressed because I worry a lot about unimportant things. I obsess over situations out of my control. I dismiss positive experiences that would help lift my spirits and align my focus towards what's important. 
I need a distraction from my own thoughts.
I need balance in my life. Not because I work hard to prepare my classes. Not because I read a lot of professional literature. Not because I wrote a lot this summer and will continue to do so now that school has started. But because I have been obsessing on the wrong things. Mostly, I obsess about what someone said or did and what it says about me as a teacher. I obsess about …

In anticipation...

Today was my second day back at work.
The students haven't started yet. Their first day is next Tuesday.
At this time next week, I will have met my new students.
I looked at my class list yesterday, and again today. I studied my new students' faces. None of them are familiar to me. A new class. Not my old class from last year. I let myself be sad for a moment.
I loved my class last year.
I swallowed hard. I took a deep breath.
This is the new group that I will love. As much as I loved last year's group.
I have a lot to think about as I organize my classroom.
I make sure that everything is in its place. I lay out the flexible seating choices.
I think about the first day. The first week.. The first month.
I sit at my desk -  yes, I have a desk -  and look out across the room. I can see the cozy reading area -  two couches,  two chairs,  an individual desk against the wall (to give kids the choice to work alone), a bench, a large bulletin board, a white board.
I look over to …